“Ow, fuck!” Nicky exclaimed sharply,
getting up from the Nautilus machine in the hotel’s weight room, his leg on
fire.
Cade slowed to a stop on the exercise bike
he was riding nearby and looked at his rider with growing concern. “Dude,
you’ve been pressing a zillion pounds over there for like six hours. What
gives?”
“Just…” Nicky winced as he walked around
the small room, the limp redeveloping in his hurt leg. “Trying to stay in
shape. Get strong, you know? We’re in the title hunt… I don’t want my strength
to be an issue during the final races.”
“You’ve been working out like a fiend
every since we left Wyoming,” Cade observed. “Too much, maybe.”
“I’m doing what Dix—“ Nicky bit off the
name even before he thought it. “I’m doing what a trainer would have me do.”
“Dixie would never let you work out that
hard, and she would never let you hurt yourself. Take it easy,” Cade said,
sliding off the small bicycle seat and walking over to his friend and rider. “You’re
limping again, which is not a good sign,” he said, looking critically at
Nicky’s repaired ankle which appeared to be swollen more than the other one.
“I’m fine. I just need to shake it off,”
Nicky growled in frustration as Cade watched him closely.
“You need to shake off whatever bullshit
went down between you and Dixie, and don’t argue with me,” he said, putting a
hand up as Nicky opened his mouth to protest. “I’m sure you both know it was
bullshit, and you both are too stubborn to say so.”
“Don’t match make me, Craigston,” Nicky
huffed, beginning to circle the room again.
“I’m not, but I will handle you when it
comes to your health, even if that means bringing her back. And that’s not a
threat, friend, just a comment.”
“Don’t. Don’t call her back here.”
“I will, and that’s no bullshit,” Cade
shot back, his voice brooking no argument. “I won’t let you risk yourself. Get
your head in the game, dude, you’ve got a race to win. It always goes better if
you stay on the bike – physically and mentally – the whole time.”
“Well thanks a bunch, Sensei Cade,” Nicky
said with a glare at his crew chief. “Stop handling me.”
“Stop giving me a reason to,” Cade
replied. “Because I swear to God, I will.”
**
The worst of it was, Nicky knew that Cade
was right.
He’d been pushing way too hard in the
training department for the last couple of weeks – since last seeing Dixie in
Wyoming during her birthday party celebration – and he could feel his injured
leg getting weaker and worse, instead of stronger.
He knew he was going against what Dixie
would advise, and yet, he didn’t seem able to stop himself from pushing,
pushing, pushing all the time.
It gave him something else to think about,
to focus on, instead of on her.
He just kept pushing, as though to prove
to someone – to her? – that he was fine on his own. He could do anything on his
own, and do it just fine.
But the throbbing pain in his ankle told
him maybe his cockiness wasn’t altogether for the right reason.
And he also knew that if Cade – or Dixie,
for that matter – knew how much his ankle and leg were hurting… hell, that
might even take him off his ride for a race or two, and he sure as hell wasn’t
going to let that happen.
Fine, he admitted silently to himself, so
maybe he needed help, a little guidance from a professional.
Did it have to be Dixie Colson?
Nicky knew Cade would call her – she was
the only one that both of them trusted, but God, Nicky didn’t know how he would
face her again, much less work with her.
He winced as he put more weight on his
ankle and hobbled towards his room.
Maybe, just for tonight, he’d take the
rest of the night off from the weight room.
Dammit, Dixie, he thought silently. Where
are you when I really need you?
**
“Do you have a minute?” Jackie asked,
tapping on Dixie’s office door lightly. “I have a couple of updates to your
schedule.”
“Sure,” Dixie said, quickly minimizing her
desktop screen. “Come on in.”
She didn’t want Jackie to see that she was
perusing the MotoGP pages to see how testing and qualifying in Sachsenring, Germany was going.
It had been several weeks since her
disastrous birthday party and Dixie hadn’t spoken to anyone from the 76 team
since then, instead focusing on her work and important things like organizing
her sock drawer and filing her recipes alphabetically instead of by meal type.
And yet, she couldn’t seem to stop
herself from checking on the team, seeing how the tire tests went, reading the
blogs and news updates, and generally trying to stay connected to the team,
despite the distance between them.
She couldn’t help herself. She missed
the circus, and she missed guy in particular, no matter how infuriating he was.
“I just got a call from Tillotson, and
he wanted to know if you could work him in tomorrow. If I bump your 4 o’clock
back by half an hour, I think it will work out fine. Are you good with that?”
Dixie nodded absently, her eyes still
on her desktop background, the image of a MotoGP bike whizzing around a chicane
at top speed, the leathers of the rider blurry from the speed.
Nicky’s leathers.
“Dix? Want to do this later?” Jackie
asked, her voice tinged with concern.
Dixie shook her head and focused on her
friend. “No, of course not. Go ahead. Tillotson, being squeezed in tomorrow.
What else?”
“Mitch Jacobs cancelled his appointment
for the day after tomorrow, and all future appointments. Something about
divorce court and a fight with the insurance company. I don’t know, I stopped
listening after a while,” Jackie said sheepishly. “Other than that, you’re
clear for the rest of the week, if you want to have some time to work on your
education units.”
Dixie nodded. “Yeah, I might do that.
Thanks. Anything else going on?”
Jackie bit her lip. “I’m having Cade’s
baby.”
Dixie was silent for a second, and then
clicked into what Jackie had just said. “Wait. WHAT?”
Jackie grinned. “Gotcha. At least I
know you’re listening to me now.”
Dixie shook her finger at her friend.
“That was not funny. Even a little
bit. The thought of a mini Cade in the world is too frightening to consider.”
She paused, watching Jackie’s face. “But you guys are a thing, aren’t you?”
Jackie blushed. “I don’t know what sort
of thing we are, but yes, we seem to be ‘a thing’. Which is a good thing,”
Jackie giggled self consciously. “Is that okay? That I’m dating your friend?”
Dixie smiled. “It’s totally okay. And
since we have nothing after tomorrow, it’s totally okay if Cade sends you a
plane ticket to go to the race this weekend.”
Jackie bounced in her seat. “He did
mention something about that as a possibility, yeah,” she said happily. “I
didn’t understand where they were, though. I mean, I know, Germany, but he kept
saying… Sausage Ring? Is that right?”
Dixie burst out laughing. “Kind of.
It’s Sachsenring, which sounds really similar. In fact, I like your name
better,” Dixie grinned. “And I’ve heard it a great track, so it’ll be a fun
race.”
“Are you…” The trilling of the phone
interrupted Jackie’s question. She put up a hand in apology and then grabbed
the receiver. “Dixie Colson’s
office, may I help you?” Her face immediately softened, and Dixie knew Cade
must be on the other end of the line.
She made a hand gesture that she was going
to leave the room to give them privacy, but Jackie waved her back. “He wants to
talk to you,” she whispered, covering the receiver with her hand. “Hang on.”
“Are you… yeah? Okay!” Jackie said after
listening to Cade for a few moments. “Okay. Yeah. Okay, here’s Dixie. See you
soon, baby.”
Jackie handed Dixie the receiver, smiling
happily. She stuck out her tongue at her boss, though, when Dixie said into the
phone in a sickly sweet voice, “Hey baby, how are you?”
Cade laughed. “I’m crazy about that woman,
and I’m not even ashamed to say it, so you can shove that in your dumbbell and
smoke it.”
“That made so little sense I don’t even
know where to start,” Dixie said, laughing despite herself. “Why are you
calling me? Harassment hours don’t start for another twenty minutes.”
“I need help,” Cade said, his voice deadly
serious. “Like, yesterday.”
34063 / 50000
No comments:
Post a Comment