“And up and hold,” Dixie instructed, as
Nicky held the position. “And down.”
God, this was awkward, she thought for the
forty second time in less than fifteen minutes.
Dixie had vowed to treat Nicky like she
normally did, but was finding that difficult in light of Javier’s confession
the evening before. She still wasn’t sure she believed it entirely, but she had
no reason not to believe it.
And the dynamic between herself and Nicky
had been… different the last few weeks. When they were at Gamble Ranch, yes he
was…what was the word Javier used? Reticent. Nicky was definitely reticent at
first, but…
But after a while, he loosened up, he
talked to her, and they’d had a nice few moments here and there, Dixie thought,
thinking back to those few minutes in front of the bonfire when they had shared
a blanket and a comfortable silence, even though her heart was pounding at
being so close to him…
But now… everything was different now.
This supposed knowledge from Javier tinged her opinion of Nicky, though she
tried not to let it do so. And, ever since the tour had started, really, Nicky
had been… cool towards her.
Not mean, not hateful, just…chilly.
No more banter, no more teasing, no more
mindless conversations, just...
Condemnation?
Is that what she saw in his eyes whenever
they crossed paths here at the tracks?
Or is that what she saw when they crossed
paths and she was with Javier?
She couldn’t be sure.
All she knew for sure is that whatever
comfortable ground they had found between them at the ranch and before the tour
started seemed to have evaporated into a puff of smoke.
And she kind of hated that.
No, she really hated that, she mentally
amended to herself.
“Do you just want to quit for today?”
Dixie barked as Nicky gave her a halfhearted arm raise.
“No.”
“Then what’s going on?” She demanded,
hands on her hips. “In fact, what’s up with you lately? We used to joke and
tease a little during your sessions. We used to, I don’t know, at least talk. Lately you’re all cold and controlled,
no banter, no smiling, no nothing. I know we weren’t exactly besties before,
but I thought we were friends, not trainer and emotionless automaton. Lately,
you’ve been looking at me like I’m dirt on the bottom of your shoe. Want to
talk about it?”
“No.”
“Too bad, because we’re gonna,” Dixie
said, her voice full of determination her hands still on her hips, her stance
wide and defiant.
“Leave it, Dixie,” Nicky said,
straightening up and fixing her with a steely gaze. “Leave me alone. I don’t
need a therapy session from you today. Or possibly ever.”
“You need someone to kick your whiny ass,
is what you need. And it seems to be that after watching you on the circuit
these last few weeks, you need some friends. Or an attitude adjustment. Or
maybe both. Everyone is happy, but you… I can’t figure you out. You’re living
the perfect life, but you walk around like… I don’t know, like you hate being
you. Don’t you know how lucky you are? How many guys would kill to be in your
position?”
“I don’t hate myself, or hate being here.
Hell, I’m grateful every day. I just…” Nicky ran a hand through his hair in
frustration, making it stick up in blond spikes. “I don’t have your happy knack
to just chat with people, to just bond with them. I leave that to the Javiers
of the world,” he said on a sneer.
“Is that what this is about? Are you
jealous of Javier?” Dixie barked. “Do we need to talk about Javier?”
Nicky scoffed loudly. “Um, no. I pity
anyone who would be envious of him.”
“Don’t,” Dixie demanded, holding up a hand.
“Don’t run him down, not to me. You know we’re seeing each other. So, just...
don’t.”
“I do know that, and Dixie…” Nicky sighed,
debating what to say to her. “It’s been nearly impossible for me to bite my
tongue, but just… be careful. He’s not a good guy, Dixie. He’s not, and I’m
afraid you are going to get hurt.”
“I doubt that. And considering the way
you’ve been treating me lately, I’m surprised you give a shit at all about me,”
Dixie shot back.
I do, of course I do..” Nicky stammered.
“I… I care about you, okay? More than you think. And I’m afraid that Javier
doesn’t, not the way you want him to.”
“At least he treats me like a lady, treats
me with respect. He listens to me, he wants to spend time with me, he…”
“Just… be careful,” Nicky interrupted her,
cutting her off before she could enumerate any more of his traits. “And any man
who didn’t want to spend every minute with you or treat you like a lady is an
idiot, and that’s the god’s truth.”
Dixie’s jaw dropped but before she could
retort, Nicky slung a towel across his neck and stalked away. “Have a safe
flight back,” he said over his shoulder, leaving her standing there, totally
confounded.
**
Nicky really wanted to punch something.
But punching usually led to hand injury,
and when you relied on your hands to drive, it wasn’t a good idea.
He’d learned that one the hard way after
punching a brick wall after a particularly brutal AMA race a few years back.
That’s a lesson that sunk in, he mused.
Instead, he was sitting in his coach,
brooding, knowing that even now Dixie was on her way to the airport, thinking
he hated her.
He didn’t hate her.
Far from it.
He knew he’d been acting sullen and
bratty, but the sad fact was, he was falling for his trainer, and didn’t seem
humanly able to process those feelings in a productive or even sane way.
Because he was an idiot.
And because she was with the Spaniard.
Ugh.
Javier De Costa was a lot of things – a
good rider, a good schmoozer, a good advocate for the sport – but he wasn’t a
gentleman, he wasn’t a friend, and he wasn’t a one-woman man.
Nicky knew that for sure.
He didn’t want Dixie to get hurt, by
Javier or by anyone else.
He couldn’t stop thinking about her – he
couldn’t.
Nicky knew all the signs were there – he
was crazy about her. He liked her laugh, the way she talked a mile a minute to
get him to warm up, her quiet command of situations, and her easiness when it
came to conversation.
Normally around women, especially
beautiful women, he got tongue tied and stupid.
Dixie was different.
She made him feel like he was worth more
than a ridership; made him feel like he had things to say, to share with her.
And when she smiled at him… god, his
stomach just dropped when she gave him that wide smile…
He knew he was crap at relationships, as
his past track record proved. He was okay for a while, but then…
He always broke it off, before he could
get hurt.
He didn’t need therapy to know it must
stem from the abandonment of his family by his mother when he was little, by
his need to step up and grow up at such a young age.
It didn’t lend a lot of trust to a guy
just beginning to grow up.
Not to mention having his heart broken a
few times along the way by women cheating on him, or not being able to roll
with his lifestyle, which obviously wasn’t going to change for the next few
years, unless he got hurt or got dead.
And he was hoping not to do neither of
those things for a while.
“God, I’m so fucked up,” Nicky said out
loud, speaking to no one at all, his voice echoing around the empty coach.
Why did he have to be so stupid? So shy?
So unable to be all smooth and tell a girl, ‘hey I like you, let’s go out’.
How hard was that?
Instead, he got stupid and shy.
He knew he had intimacy issues, but Dixie
seemed to be breaking through them all, and now… now he wanted her as much more
than a trainer or colleague.
He just wanted her, all for himself.
And she only had eyes for De Costa.
God, life was unfair.
22536 / 50000
1 comment:
Loving.It. :)
Post a Comment